Sexual & General Health
Condoms and Dams
Dental Dams for Safer Oral Sex...
Dental Dams, a latex barrier is an approximately 10 x 6 inch silky think sheet of natural latex. The Dams that are provided by WSMSH free of charge are manufactured by Pasante and come in a range of flavours.
When properly used dental dams may help reduce the risk of catching or spreading sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts and HIV. However they do not completely eliminate the risk.
During intimate contact such as oral-anal (rimming) or oral-vaginal sex, lesions and various body fluids can transmit STIs. A dental dam should be used each time when such contact occurs.
Dams are held in stock by WSMSH and can be ordered via the condom order web page. (Please note a maximum of five per person only).
How to use a DAM:
- Carefully remove the dam from the packaging making sure that you do not damage the dam with sharp fingernails or jewellery as you squeeze the dam out.
- Wet the anal or vaginal area with water based lubricant.
- Place the dam over the anal or vaginal area before having oral sex. Please note, only ever lick one side of the dam.
- Hold the dam in place during oral sex.
- Do not lick the side of the dam which has been in contact with the anal or vaginal area. (Sexually transmitted infections can be present without any symptoms. Anyone who has ever had oral, rectal or vaginal sexual contact may have unknowingly been exposed to STIs.)
- Wrap the used dam and place it in the bin, do not flush it down the toilet.
- Use a new dam if you switch between the anus and vagina.
- Do not share dams.
- Never use a dam more than once.
- Always check the expiry date before use.
- Do not use oil based lubricants such as baby oil, petroleum jelly, body lotions, massage oils, butter etc. as they can damage latex dams.
- Although dams offer protection against sexually transmitted infections, no method can guarantee 100% effectiveness.