Police have warned gay men to be extra vigilant when meeting people online or through dating or hook-up apps after two guys were robbed at knifepoint in separate attacks in London.
In both cases the victims were left shaken up, though without serious physical injuries after arranging meets using the Grindr app. The guys they expected to meet turned out to be a gang of four men carrying knives.
Croydon Police says it is doing everything it can to find the gang, but in the meantime it has reminded gay men to always follow these tips:
- Always meet in a public place with lots of people around.
- Don't share personal details until you trust the person with whom you are communicating.
- If you decide to meet in person, let someone know where you are going and when you're likely to return.
- Plan your journey to and from the date in advance. If using a mini-cab, always pre-book.
- Drink responsibly and never leave your drink unattended.
- Ensure your mobile phone is fully charged and working.
- If at any time you feel uncomfortable, leave the date - you are not obliged to stay.